Custody Agreement Overseas

Before initiating custody proceedings, it may therefore be in your best interest to consult an experienced family law lawyer. Next, the petitioner must serve the other parent with a legal method of trial service authorized in the United States. The court will then determine whether the country to which the child was admitted is a signatory state. It must also decide which country has jurisdiction to rule on the custody dispute. One. It depends on the legislation of that country. As a rule, the answer is yes as long as the child has a normal domicile in the country at the time of the application for a custody decision. As a general rule, a judge will refuse to make a custody decision if the child concerned lives elsewhere and not under the jurisdiction of the court (the territory served by the court).

Comments are closed.